NANOE Governors heard from their Co-Founder Jimmy LaRose who announced today that NANOE’s Board of Directors have released their 2017 Values Statement named “Our Members Are Our Mission.” LaRose shared, “Dr. Kathleen Robinson’s Values Statement gives nonprofit’s what they need most…FREEDOM. Freedom to use the principles we already know work in the for-profit sector. The modern charitable CEO has rejected the tired, outdated “ethical codes” and “best practices” of old. NANOE’s Values Statement transcends the status quo. They’re what I believe. They’re what we believe. They’re what our members celebrate most.”
Here is NANOE’s Values Statement as adopted by their Board of Directors on October 1, 2017:
OUR MEMBERS ARE OUR MISSION
National Association of Nonprofit Organizations & Executives (NANOE) is a nationwide network of donors, volunteers and charitable leaders whose relentless commitment to significant and sustainable impact transforms the communities we serve. NANOE members are innovators who solve problems (not just service them) by deploying heroic missions of scale that confront social and environmental dilemmas so completely that money chases after their every need.
Here’s how NANOE members serve one another:
1. We connect philanthropists, funders and academics to people that transform their worlds;
2. We create platforms, programs and tools that supercharge financial capacity building;
3. We form economic impact engines infusing capital into charities to guarantee mission success;
4. We confront intellectual dishonesty using mass communications to dispel myths and disseminate truth;
5. We disrupt industry associations, organizations and media outlets whose activities injure nonprofits;
6. We build personal relationships with leaders that strengthen them and meet their needs;
7. We establish compensation standards that safeguard the financial success of those employed in our sector;
8. We credential executives in advanced management models, capacity-building and consulting;
9. We research and report on scale, sustainability and significant impact;
10. We host forums, conferences and events on scale, sustainability and significant impact;
NANOE Governors Gather for Inaugural Address
Our values are OUR MINDSET:
- We regard all people and the environment as created and loved by God. Equality is guaranteed by the Creator.
- We act in ways that respect the dignity, uniqueness, and intrinsic worth of every person – our consumers, donors, investors, boards, governors, volunteers, staff and their families.
- We celebrate the richness of diversity in human personality, values, contributions, and cultures and require that our members do the same.
Our values are OUR METHOD:
- We speak and act honestly. We are open and factual in our dealings with investors, donors, project partners, governments, sector leaders, interested publics, those with whom we consult, and each other.
- We endeavor to convey a public image that conforms to reality. We strive for consistency between what we say and what we do.
- We practice a participative and open relationship style. We ensure our members, governors, staff, volunteers and board pursue a life of personal, spiritual and vocational development.
- We adhere to rigorous operational standards and are authentic when reporting. Our finances and programs are audited using external third-party review.
- We use organizational structures and processes to achieve these standards. We share these models, experiences and knowledge with others for their benefit.
Our values are OUR MANNER:
- We provide information and assessments, so leaders can make effective decisions.
- We reveal what’s working and what’s not working, even if it’s a prized sector practice. We do so openly, honestly, and sincerely, but also frankly.
- We are straightforward in highlighting associations, networks, media outlets and intermediary organizations that need to change the way they pursue mission, impact and sustainability.
- We refrain from and discourage disparaging talk about other organizations or individuals but are not passive if defamed, slandered, and/or libeled.
Our values are OUR MEMBERS:
- We are members of a network that transcends legal, structural, and cultural boundaries.
- We joyfully accept the obligations of joint participation, shared goals, and mutual accountability that networked organizations require.
- We affirm our interdependence. We are willing to yield autonomy as necessary for the common good. We commit ourselves to know, understand, and respect each other.
- We are partners with nonprofits of all sizes but particularly with those that are at scale or intend to go to scale.
- We are partners with philanthropists and investors who share our passions and vision to improve the charitable sector’s value in America and the world.
- We pursue relationships with all nonprofits and mutually participate in building each other’s organizations and services.
- We maintain a cooperative stance and a spirit of openness towards other organizations in all business sectors. We welcome honest feedback when based on facts.
- We are stewards of our member’s financial resources who expect us to use their monies to improve sector effectiveness, thereby increasing the value of charity to the public.
Our values are OUR MODIFICATIONS:
- When times and circumstances change, we alter what we do and how we do it. Our aim is to maximize positive results in sustainable ways.
- We are responsive to nonprofit leaders’ requests where our involvement is needed and appropriate.
- We are willing to take intelligent risks and act quickly. We do this from a foundation of experience and sensitivity to what a situation may require.
- While we seek to coach, train, and consult with nonprofit leaders about matters related to scale, sustainability and impact, we also recognize that during organizational crisis, leaders must be engaged and in charge.
- We encourage change, innovation, creativity, flexibility and adaptability in individual and organizational practices.
- We partner to create change by learning, reflecting, discovering and innovating together. As we change and respond to challenges, we all grow in understanding, skill and experience.
Our values are OUR METRICS:
- We value effective nonprofit performance that leads to significant impact on people’s quality of life and a sustainable environment.
- We are accountable for results. The means we use are as important as the ends we create.
In closing, NANOE is a fellowship of individuals who believe that “innovation never fears a challenge” and that the greatest contribution donors, volunteers and practitioners can make to charity is to become the creative, thinking enterprise-leaders our sector so desperately needs.
Adopted by NANOE Governors – October 1, 2017
712 H Street NE Suite 1149 – Washington, DC 20002
NANOE Governors please VISIT HERE for NANOE Membership, Credentialing & Events
NANOE Governors please VISIT HERE to learn more about Jimmy LaRose